So I'm sitting here on the couch with my laptop, just another typical night at the Cheung House when I realize that Phillip is not going to be emerging from The Den Of Homework any time soon, thereby informing me it's time to turn off the internet. In fact, I will have to go downstairs all by myself and check to make sure the door is locked. I will have to turn off all the lights. I will have to go upstairs and move Molly out of my room and into her bedroom. (You may wonder why this is. It's because Molly makes these vaguely warthog-ish sounds while she sleeps, and thrashes around her pack and play like a madman in a padded room. YOU try sleeping with that.) (Oh, and before you can point it out: JACK DOES THE SAME STUFF ONLY WORSE.)
Phillip and I just had a, uh, spirited Google Video Chat with most of our conversation revolving around the requests our buyers made after the house inspection. Tonight's video chat was probably a good representation of the way in which our communication styles are completely... mismatched is a nice word. Or maybe we are just mismatched in general - WHO KNOWS. Either way, I am going to have to paint some trim and I am not happy about it.
I am drinking wine and MAYBE there is a bag of chocolate chips nearby and the clock is saying yes, I should probably head upstairs and cuddle up with my borrowed copy of Freakonomics. (I'm what, ten years late on that? Still interesting!) But... I don't know. I kinda feel like I should be enjoying myself. I don't have to follow anyone else's schedule! I can watch TV! I can stay up late!
Except that I do too have to follow someone else's schedule, and they don't always sleep through the night.
Annie told me I should come up with a few things to do that I wouldn't necessarily do with Phillip around. When HER husband is away she tries new recipes! And to Annie I say HA! Like I am going to COOK. This is my VACATION FROM COOKING. But she has a point and I've made a small list of Things I'm Going To Do Because Phillip Isn't Around To 1) Object 2) Make Fun Of Me or 3) Rain On My Parade.
- Eat breakfast for dinner.
- Watch New Moon. OH YES.
- Watch Big Love. (Although the internet seems very down on Big Love right now, so this is not as exciting to me anymore.)
- Leave the little rubber handles on the garlic press when I put it in the dishwasher because the fact that Phillip always takes them off AND NEVER PUTS THEM BACK ON drives me absolutely INSANE. Of course, I'm not going to be doing anything that requires a garlic press, so this is probably pointless to list.
- Immediately recycle any and all mail with the words 'GAMEINFORMER' or 'CRUTCHFIELD' or 'WINDOWS IT' on the cover.
- Eat dessert for breakfast.
Actually, I'm probably going to end up
- getting up every time a kid makes a noise in the middle of the night
- taking out the trash
- entertaining my children after 6pm
- getting the kids up in the morning
- putting gas in the car
because those are the things Phillip does that I never have to do and WAH how long till Friday at 10pm?