I made a Why and a Why Not List
I feel like that's a little different from a Pros and Cons. The Pros and Cons are obviousish, but not really helpful in deciding whether to take this idea further. But a WHY and a WHY NOT list...
- To create a welcoming community gathering space for, primarily, mothers and young children
- To have meaningful work when my children are in school
- To start a family business with my sister (both of us being the sorts who aren't into "real" jobs)
- To have a space to donate/rent out/provide for meetings, studies, gatherings, retreats, community events
- To (somehow) (eventually) be a positive force in the neighborhood, to minister to mothers. to make a difference in my community (barf)
- To contribute financially to my family
- I'm not sure how I can work the hours required for a start up business when I have a one-year-old at home and I do not want to put her in daycare.
- Relatedly, a working mom (especially an entrepreneur mom) would mean big lifestyle changes for my family. Do we want that?
- I am the opposite of a salesperson. No, really. I might be able to sell an idea in writing, but in person? To a lender? HAAAA Not to mention products. For the bazillionth time, I am not profit-oriented.
- I am not profit-oriented!
- I have never managed, trained, supervised, led a staff (okay, even ONE OTHER PERSON). I don't know if I'm a good leader.
- Chatting with customers sounds fun - dealing with accountants, lawyers, bankers, maintenance people, wholesalers, etc. sounds intimidating and exhausting.
THINGS I SOMEHOW DO NOT FEEL THAT WORRIED ABOUT:
- Capital. I mean, I don't HAVE any, but if this is something I really want to do, I'm pretty sure I can find a way. Loans, investors, even federal grants for women-owned small businesses that benefit the community.
- The risk. I know. But if you have been reading this blog for any amount of time, you know my anxiety is triggered by things that happened forever ago that I can't change, not REAL things, like money or time. Eh! It all works out! (Phillip: CRINGING.)
- The idea. I don't just want to open a coffee shop, I want to open a welcoming space to one demographic in particular, in an area where something similar does not exist. I feel like this is a GOOD IDEA. I think people would SHOW UP. One thing I never liked about my real jobs was that I never felt like I was doing something worthwhile. Even if I'm mopping my cafe bathroom, I feel like I'd be mopping my cafe bathroom for the benefit of, and because I care about, tired moms who just need to get out of their own houses. Does that make sense?
- Getting along with my sister. I mean, I'm sure there will be Strife, but it also sounds FUN and exciting and full of potential. Not to mention she makes AWESOME treats.
And I'm sorry guys, I know you're probably all THREE DAYS OF THIS NONSENSE?! but it's just ON MY BRAIN and this is where I process everything! I bought small business how to books today! I still don't know if this is just another thing that I'm overly excited about (that I will, soon enough, become overly eye rolly about) (I have a lot of those things) or if it's something ... REAL. I have to write through it.
By the way, I have loved - LOVED - every single suggestion and thought you've given me. I've put them all in a spreadsheet. Oh yes I have. So if you have more, don't be shy! Or if you have actually opened a cafe before and you're all, "OH GOD, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!" please send that along as well.