1. Hmm, might car tabs be a STATE thing? Here in Washington we pay a frazillion dollars once a year to put a little sticker on our license plates proving we've "registered" (ie: paid the frazillion dollars). And I think it gets taxed? And Seattle residents pay more tax than the rest of Washington's residents? I think for light rail? Which will reach my neighborhood when the only transportation I will be interested in riding are those tiny little public shuttles ferrying old people to doctor appointments and the hair salon? Sounds about right.
2. Now that we no longer watch Real Television, I think I've seen half of one campaign commercial this year. Which means I know absolutely nothing about the election. I think about my Pregnant With Molly days when all I did, and I'm serious, was watch cable news from morning till night. It was the presidential election, so it was very! exciting! but I've definitely given up my cable news habit. I hardly ever watch the news anymore. I find that fascinating, given that I was seriously watching enough to start my own Cheung Report, but I think the only real effect it's had on my life is my ability to speak intelligently with my dad when he marches us into Political Conversations. Last I talked to him he was rather disappointed in my lack of opinions on the various state initiatives. This is why I read all those magazines with no pictures, folks. FOR MY DAD. (Okay, I sort of enjoy them too. Apple, tree, etc.)
3. Jack's preschool class had a Halloween party today, but there are only seven kids and they weren't supposed to wear costumes and it wasn't a big deal, although I did get a little note on Tuesday asking me to bring cookies. Any kind. I COULD have gone to the grocery store and bought a pack of Oreos, BUT NO. I put on my SAHM pants I mean full skirt and made ghost and pumpkin sugar cookies. We'll just leave aside the fact that I made them with extra cookie dough my mother-in-law sent home with me earlier in the week. But I frosted them all CUTE and TWEE and when I went to pick him up I was a little annoyed that there was no fawning over my fabulous cookies. Where was my Preschool Mom Head Pat? AND Jack has said maybe four words about his Halloween party. LAME. You mothers of older children are thinking I better suck it up, aren't you. A whole world ahead of noncommittal silent children and no head pats. FINE I WILL.
4. Because I have a volleyball game at 9pm on Halloween, I will be dressed as A Volleyball Player. Jack is Spiderman. Molly is the Old Navy Butterfly. ONE of these days I am going to gather the bottom of the absolutely enormous purple bridesmaid dress in my closet and go as an eggplant.
5. Phillip had school Tuesday night and then last night he went out with coworkers and was supposed to be home in time to put the kids to bed, but he missed the bus and got home at almost nine. So. That was fun. And he REEEEEEALLY wants to buy a second car, but it's sort of a ridiculous thing to do. Because even we could swing the cost and insurance on a second car, parking is something like $12 a day and I'm sorry, but nooooo. I feel bad though. The bus is far from direct in our new neighborhood and his hours do sometimes clash with the bus schedule and when his wife locks herself and the children out of the house he has to borrow a coworker's car to rescue us... I like having just the one car, but that's because I get to drive it all the time. Do you have one car? Could you function?
6. I am going to make this for the people coming to my house on Halloween. Although, if you are one of them, do not get excited. My track record with bechamel sauce is dismal.
7. After a few weeks off, I started looking at houses again. Even though there is nothing new on the market. But I swear, I can look at new construction floor plans until my eyes cross. But have you noticed that so many of these ginormous brand new houses have only three bedrooms? And the master bedroom is the size of my entire house and then there are two little bedrooms and maybe there is a loft or bonus or game room or something, but that's it for Proper Bedrooms? I find that very interesting.
more quick takes here